3/29/11

One Minute Manager- Book Review

On a Saturday I had to spend the whole day in planning up for a new upcoming project, and I was pretty occupied in finalizing team, its goals, member responsibilities and action plans and sub strategies about what to do, when to do, how to do and who will do it.

The next tough task for me is to how I would communicate, make my team know their responsibilities and importantly how could I make them stay motivated by curbing possible unnecessary distractions and reactions etc. In collecting thoughts to deliver such huge task ahead, I got reminded of a book; “The one minute manager” gifted by my friend, which is due of its reading.

Being in need of such a simple and small book on managerial practices, it had come of huge advantage, carried-in a lot of substance which can help me in succeeding the upcoming task, collectively. In no time the book caught my attention without loosing an aorta of interest; session after session. In whole, the awesome experience of the book is explaining the logic in simplest ways to succeed with team, time and work.

“The one minute manager” explains about the simple concept of spending very less time with the sub-ordinates for every situation and to get big results from them. Most of the managers are either autocratic who are result oriented or democratic who care much about people than results but, the concept of one minute manager combines both autocracy and democracy where in the people are cared for at the same time it also creates results.

The book explains three concepts

· One-Minute Goal setting- which gives clarity to the employees about their tasks and helps the employees set their own goals and objectives.

· One-Minute Praisings which is a concept where the manager tries to catch his employees doing something right and praises them which in turn makes the employees feel good about themselves and motivates them to achieve more.

· One-Minute Reprimands which is taking about the mistakes of sub ordinates in a diplomatic way at the same time assuring them about their value in the organization and making them realize their mistake.

The book inspired me in effectively collecting my thoughts, approaches and practices in succeeding to deliver my project.

· I reviewed my plans along with possible approaches

· I spent just one minute with each member of my team to clearly explain them their tasks, helped them set their own goals and it definitely proved to be more effective than before.

· It gave the team more comfort and clarity about their tasks, goals and action plans and made me use my take in the most effective manner as I had to deliver to them in just one minute.

· It always made me think how best and clear I can communicate to my team members using just one minute of my time which in turn helped me identify the key areas of my projects.

· So, the book one minute manager is a simple concept which can be easily implemented and can show very effective results. It could be a success mantra for every manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment